Even when work is not being conducted, caution is needed when entering a hazardous area.
Regardless of whether work is to be actioned the following actions should be taken before you enter a hazardous area:
- Request permission to enter the hazardous area from the Operator
- Verify that the area is safe to enter
– discuss with operator’s concurrent work
– visually inspect for overt dangers
– conduct a gas test before entering area
– carry a functioning personal gas monitor
– know what to do if something goes wrong
- Leave all potential ignition sources in the safe area (e.g. calculators, mobile phones, etc.)
- If work is to be actioned, ensure that the correct permits are in place.